Saturday, August 22, 2009

Getting Ready for That 5K

Daily Activity: Ran 4.4 miles outside (6 APs)

Tim and I got up early this morning to meet my friend Nicole at Fort Toulouse for a run. Fort Toulouse Rd is 4.4 miles down and back. The weather was perfect! Bright and sunny, but low humidity and a slight breeze. We strapped on our Camelbaks and our iPods and went at it.

Photobucket


My goal was to run atleast one direction (2.2 miles). I wasn't sure what running outside was going to feel like since I haven't done it in oh .... say ... 10 years or so. It was really great though! It help that Ft Toulouse Rd is nice and flat and it has a bike lane on the side so we didn't have to worry about traffic.

I made it one direction fairly easily. My iPod started acting up halfway through the first part of the run, so all I had to listen to was the sloshing water and ice in my Camelbak, which was pretty annoying. Once I got to the end, I stopped for a couple minutes to fix my iPod and let everyone get back together again. Then we headed off running the other direction.

I ran to about the 1 1/2 mile marker on the way back and I got a terrible stitch in my side. I tried to keep going, but I knew I needed to stop until it went away. I walked for about 1 minute and once the pain let up I started running again and was able to make it the rest of the way back.

Not a bad run at all for my first "real run"! Of course it would have been much more enjoyable if I didn't have to smell the stench of roadkill every quarter-mile or so, but who cares.

Photobucket


Photobucket

After the run, we came home and I made a huge brunch: eggs, turkey sausage, turkey bacon, hashbrowns, and fresh fruit. I ate a big 10 point serving. It was wonderful!


No comments:

Post a Comment