Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Book Review of Half-Assed: A Weightloss Memoir

Daily Activity: Ran 5 miles (5.5 APs)

So, I read Half-Assed: A Weightloss Memoir by Jennette Fulda a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to share my thoughts on it.

Basically the book is exactly what it describes itself to be, the story of a woman who literally lost half of her body weight through diet and exercise. At first I didn't really think I was going to like the book. In the beginning Jennette focuses on the ridiculously large amounts of hideously disgusting foods she ate. I don't know about you, but for me that was never my problem. Yes, of course I ate too much food also, but I couldn't identify at all with the things she literally gorged herself on. Actually, I didn't identify with the author much at all. Other than the fact that we are (were ... whatever) both fat asses, we are absolutely nothing alike.

I also didn't find her nearly as funny as I thought that she was going to be from the reviews I read of the book on GoodReads. She had some witty remarks, and some sarcastic humor, but I was expecting some ROFLMAO material and in my opinion that's not what was delivered.

Once I got into the book and stopped trying to identify with the author and realized that she wrote the book to tell her story and not mine, I actually started enjoying it.

If you read this book to get diet, exercise and weightloss tips you will be sorely disappointed. The author speaks very little about her "regimen", she refused to even mention which diet plan she followed. Once she explained why she made that choice I completely understood and agreed with her for it.

What I loved about the book was that it helped me to realize that more important than what the scale reads is how your life has changed. Jennette set out to lose a specific number of pounds but before she ever made it to her self-appointed goal weight, she found happiness in not only the way that she looked but more importantly from her new active lifestyle. That really hit home with me for some reason because I have recently been feeling that same way, that maybe there is something out there more important than the number on the scale.

I read alot of the book while I was working out in the gym on the elliptical and it really helped the time pass, and also helped put things into perspective about why I am doing these things and what I hope to accomplish beyond a goal weight.

If you want to read Jennette's blog, it can be found here.



Photobucket

1 comment: