Thursday, September 3, 2009

Book Review: Julie & Julia

Photobucket

Most people are probably familiar with this book because it was just released as a major motion picture, but if you are not I'll tell you the basic storyline. It is a true story of a woman who made it her mission to cook through Julia Child's book Mastering the Art of French Cooking, all 524 recipes in exactly one year and wrote a blog about it. She speaks of how she risked her job, her marriage, and her cats wellbeing by taking on this enormous project.

I really wanted to love this book. I definitely loved the movie, and I thought that if the movie was great the book must be AMAZING. I love cooking and I love eating so I thought this book would be right up my alley, but I was very dissapointed. I found the book to be at worst, overwhelmingly boring and at best only mildly entertaining. In fact I almost decided to not finish the book because it was that bad in the beginning. Towards the middle it picked up the pace slightly and thats where the mildly entertaining part comes in.

Julie & Julia has very little culinary value and is instead focused on the author's crappy job, shitty apartment, strange friends, and her incessant whining.

Perhaps I would have enjoyed the book more if I hadn't just seen the movie, but most likely not. So read at your own risk, but don't say I didn't warn ya!

2 comments:

  1. Hm...I have this on my Chapters wishlist...maybe I'll rethink it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to read this, maybe I'll pick another. It's too bad, the movie was very cute!

    ReplyDelete