Saturday, October 3, 2009

Capitol City Half Marathon & 5K

Tim and I got up at 4:30 this morning to get ready for the Capitol City 5K. I slept pretty good last night though. After all the mexican food, two beers, and a sleeping pill ... I was ready for bed at 8:30 pm.

We drove downtown this morning as the sun came up to meet my friend Nicole and her mom who were running in the race also. It was very confusing with all the one way streets and the roadblocks, but we eventually all got where we were suppose to be.


Photobucket

The Half Marathon started right at 7:00 am, and the 5K got underway about 15 minutes later.

Photobucket

Poor Tim, he mistakenly had his iPod on "shake to shuffle" and kept wondering why he would only hear 10 seconds of a song before it switched. He didn't figure it out until more than halfway through the race. He got so frustrated that he actually threw his headphones away at one of the water stations.

I however, didn't have any iPod issues today. The race went great! I felt like I paced myself well, yet I ran as fast as I possibly could without overdoing it. I didn't get any side cramps today, and the hills that I worried about really weren't an issue at all. I actually wished I could have kept running. I was super jealous of the half-marathoners!

Of course I forgot to stop my Garmin when I came across the finish line again today. But these are my times according to my Garmin (the official results haven't been posted yet):

Mile 1 - 8:55
Mile 2 - 8:45
Mile 3 - 7:44
0.1 Mile - 7:06

My time according to my Garmin was 26:28, more than 2 minutes faster than my previous 5K time!

My father in law caught this shot as I came in to the finish line:

Photobucket

Tim came in a few minutes after me and we got a good shot of him right under the finish line.

Photobucket

After the race we went to the post-race party where they had Jim & Nicks BBQ, free beer, live music and massages!

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket

I won't know my official results until tomorrow morning, they are suppose to be in the newspaper. I'm really glad to have my second 5K under my belt though, and I'm more than pleased with my time.

Tonight at dinner I asked Tim, "who would ever have thought that we would be runners?". Which brought up the conversation of "are we really runners?" What makes a runner? How far do you have to be able to run to be a runner?

What is your opinion? What makes a person a runner?

6 comments:

  1. Congrats to you on your success... you're an inspiration to me as a fellow mom!

    Dega from 50+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is a runner? .... anyone who just keeps putting their foot to the pavement. Time, distance and speed should never be an issue when deciding if one is a runner... just the look in their eye and the beat of their heart.

    (this coming from a first time 10K runner!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Tigerlilly. That was my take on it. Tim thought that hardcore runners would call us "joggers".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are doing great! Keep up the great work. As for your question on when does a person get to consider themselves a runner? You are definitely a runner and be proud of it. You completed your second race and improved your time. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!!!! congrats on your second race and for being faster than last time!!! you are so inspiring and motivating!!! who would have thought 100lbs ago,you would be able to do this? did you ever see yourself being a person who competed in 5ks then?? WOW!
    AND about being a "runner" agree with tigerlilly here-nothing to do with time or distance,but rather putting one foot in front of the other and doing it. you know when you have become a "runner" when the thought of running doesnt make you cringe,but rather you enjoy it,and start to crave it!.. when you do your first race,you become "hooked" and cant wait to see what you can do in the next one....
    you know when you are a runner when it has become a healthy hobby instead of a healthy habbit...
    in my book, you ARE a runner and not a "jogger"
    keep up the hard work and fun time at the races!!! looking forwrd to seeing what you can do for the next 5k!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Melissa! No, I never would have thought that I would be doing 5Ks and planning on doing more. I did run some when I was younger and occasionally in high school because my parents were both runners, but I never dreamed I would enjoy it so much!

    ReplyDelete